The club was founded in October, as Havelock Football Club, an offshoot of Havelock Cricket Club some of whose younger members wanted to play a winter sport. There only being one association club in the area at that time they decided to adopt the rugby version of the game. The first season’s membership amounted to twenty just enough to form a team, rugby then being a 20-a-side game. Home matches were played at St. Paul’s Road, Balsall Heath. The club’s first captain was Birmingham jeweller S.H. Deakin who led the side for the first four seasons and the first president of the club was local businessman and philantropist Amos Roe who remained in office until the end of 1886-87.  Like Deakin a number of early players, such as Thomas Bent and W.H. Chatwin, were involved in the jewellery trade.Like most sports clubs at the time Havelock Football Club received little coverage in the local press.


The club played at a ground on the corner of Highgate Road and Moseley Road ‘adjoining Camp Hill station’. At this time a game could only be won if a goal was scored which resulted in some bizarre results, for example in November 1875 Moseley’s match with Bromsgrove was recorded as ‘a draw in favour of Moseley’. Due to problems obtaining fixtures Moseley played two games using different football codes against King Edward’s School and Wednesbury Old Athletic respectively. The first recorded game with Coventry was played on this ground on 26th February 1876. Moseley player Matthew Wilcox died from injuries sustained during a match at Derby Wanderers.


This was S.H. Deakin’s fourth and final season as club captain after which he seems to have retired from playing. At a committee meeting in September the tender of Messers. Heepe for the erection of a pavilion was accepted. Unfortunately it is not known what form this building took or even if it was built.


Following the resignation of S.H. Deakin forward and club founder member Denston Gibson took over the Moseley captaincy.


Moseley Football Club moved to a ground in Oxford Road, Moseley, where an admission fee  may have been charged for the first time. Three quarter H.V. Hasluck, one of three brothers who played for the club, became Moseley’s third captain. Moseley may have been unbeaten during the season. Accusations of illegal betting were made following Moseley F.C.’s Fourth Annual Athletic Sports.


Albert Smith began the first of his ten seasons as captain. The Midland Counties Football Union was founded in September 1879. The first game of the season, at Leamington Rovers, was abandoned 20 minutes early following a disputed Leamington dropped goal and the matter was referred to the R.F.U. Well-known amateur athlete Thomas Clulee was probably the first in a long line of players from Stourbridge who played for Moseley.  Accounts of Moseley’s history often state that the team were unbeaten in 1879/80, however, they were defeated in the away game at Manchester Rangers and a fortnight later in a home match with Gloucester.

1880 Moseley F.C. medal (thanks to Kevin Eakin).


Moseley visited Leicester for the latter club’s first-ever game. Moseley played Cardiff for the first time. Moseley moved to a new ground in Alcester Road, close to Moseley Hall.


Moseley played home and away games with the London Athletic Club, probably the club’s first fixtures with a London team. P. Lea, F. Fowler and A.J. Otter represented the Midland Counties against Wales at Newport. Moseley won the inaugural Midland Counties Challenge Cup defeating Leamington Rovers in the final.


In October a confusing match was played at Banbury Rovers-Banbury did not appear to know who exactly they were playing and the local newspaper reporter seemed to be confused about the outcome! Moseley were runners-up to Burton in the Midland Counties Challenge Cup.


The club played its first game at The Reddings, defeating Leicester. Moseley played Nottingham for the first time. The Midland Counties Challenge Cup was won for a second time when Coventry were beaten in the final.


Moseley won the Midland Counties Challenge Cup for the third time, defeating South Warwickshire Rovers in the final.


The Midland Counties Challenge Cup was won for the fourth time in five years when Rugby were defeated in the final. Moseley defeated Cardiff at the Arms Park in the last game of the season – Cardiff’s first loss of the season.


During the season well-known Warwickshire cricketer J.E. Shilton played for Moseley. Future England international J.F. Byrne played for Moseley as a second team halfback. For the fourth succesive season the club won the Midland Counties Challenge Cup, triumphing over Rugby in the final.


Amos Roe was succeeded as Moseley president by local businessman Lister Lea. Moseley did not show the same form as in previous seasons and were defeated in the second round of the Midland Counties Challenge Cup by Rugby, the previous season’s runners-up. J.F. Byrne continued to play for Moseley’s second team but as a centre.


Moseley became the first team to defeat the first-ever international tourists to the British Isles, the New Zealand Natives or Maoris. J.F. Byrne made his first XV debut as a centre before moving to fullback towards the end of the season. The Midland Counties Challenge Cup was regained when Leicester were beaten in the final.


J. H. Rogers, who succeeded Albert Smith as captain, became Moseley’s first international player, representing England against Wales. Moseley honorary secretary, J.L. Ash, resigned from the club following a dispute over the fixtures for the following season. Moseley narrowly lost to Stratford-on-Avon in the second round of the Midland Counties Challenge Cup.


Moseley made a ‘frivolous’ attempt to win the Midland Counties Challenge Cup. Three Moseley players were elected original members of the Barbarian F.C.


J.F. Byrne, by now the regular Moseley fullback, made his debut for Midland Counties and also played for Midland and Western Counties, and for London, the South and Midlands. Coventry defeated Moseley in the Midland Counties Challenge Cup final.


J.F. Byrne again played for Midland Counties, Midland and Western Counties, and London, the South and Midlands. Burton defeated Moseley in the semi-final of the Midland Counties Challenge Cup.


J.F. Byrne played for the South before winning three England caps at full back. Moseley were defeated by Coventry in the semi-final of the Midland Counties Challenge Cup.


In J. F. Byrne’s first season as captain Moseley lost only one match of the 24 games played. The club also won the Midland Counties Challenge Cup for the first time since 1889 beating Coventry in the final. Byrne won two further England caps during the season and became the first Englishman to kick a penalty goal in an international in the match with Scotland. R.H.B. Cattell was capped three times by England, he later won further caps while playing for Blackheath.


J.F. Byrne won a sixth international cap in England’s match with Ireland and scored a dropped goal. Coventry defeated Moseley in the Midland Counties Challenge Cup final. Former Moseley player Billy Tennant played for Wolverhampton Wanderers in the F.A. Cup final.


J.F. Byrne toured South Africa with the British Isles team playing in every match.


F.A. (Frank) Byrne won his only England cap playing alongside brother Fred against Wales. Fred played in all three England games during the season scoring two penalty goals against Ireland and a conversion and a dropped goal against Scotland. Moseley were involved in a rough and ill-tempered match with Gloucester at The Reddings. Moseley won the Midland Counties Challenge Cup for the eighth time by defeating Old Edwardians in the final. In a remarkable season for the two codes of football in the Birmingham area Moseley and Aston Villa, between them, won four trophies.


J.F. Byrne captained England in three internationals and scored a penalty goal against Ireland and a conversion against Wales. Moseley were defeated by Leicester in the final of the Midland Counties Challenge Cup.


Fred Byrne won the last of his 13 England caps against Ireland and A.O. Dowson made his only England appearance in the match with Scotland. Future British Isles captain Rev. Matthew Mullineux played a number of games for Moseley. Leicester defeated Moseley in a Midland Counties Challenge Cup semi-final replay.


G.V. Evers, who was never capped by England, toured Australia with the British Isles side and played in three of the four international matches.


R.H.B. Cattell led England against Wales in his final international. Leicester defeated Moseley in the final of the Midland Counties Challenge Cup. J.F. Byrne, while visiting South Africa, was caught up in the siege of Kimberley during the Second Boer War.


Moseley Wanderers represented Great Britain at the Paris Olympics losing to France in their only game, however, the team still finished third.


Moseley lost to Leicester in the final of the Midland Counties Challenge Cup.


J.F. Byrne was appointed Warwickshire cricket captain in 1903.


Moseley played two controversial and explosive matches with Coventry.


John Chamberlain, a member of the famous Birmingham family, made two appearances for the Barbarians.


Moseley forwards J.G. Cooper and C.H. Shaw played for the Midland Counties in the match against the First All Blacks at Leicester. C. H. Shaw won the first of his six England caps.


C.H. Shaw played in five international matches for England. J.G. Cooper and C.H. Shaw played for the Midland Counties against the First Springboks.


Moseley, Leicester and Coventry all withdrew from the Midland Counties Challenge Cup-Leicester to give other clubs a chance of winning the competition, Coventry because of friction with Moseley and Moseley because the other two clubs had withdrawn.


The Midland Counties and East Midlands, including Moseley’s J.G. Cooper, defeated the First Wallabies. J.G. Cooper made his only two England appearances on consecutive Saturdays, his international career was therefore over and done with in just seven days!


Moseley played Racing Club de France in Paris, winning 12-6. In June 1910 Moseley secured a new 21-year lease of The Reddings.


Moseley were defeated by Coventry in the final of the Midland Counties Challenge Cup. Having obtained a new lease improvement work at The Reddings began.


In 1911 twin brothers Frank and George Stephens together with Fred Byrne were members of the Warwickshire cricket team which won the County Championship for the first time.


Moseley’s A. Wainwright played for the Midland Counties against the Second Springboks.


Coventry defeated Moseley in the final of the Midland Counties Challenge Cup but the result was declared null and void as Coventry had fielded two men not on their list of players and because Moseley had been late in submitting their list.


Following the outbreak of the First World War Moseley’s playing activities ceased for the duration of the conflict.


Following the end of the Great War Moseley played six matches under the captaincy of Howard Hill.


Moseley struggled during the first full post-war season. The North Midlands Football Union was founded.


Another difficult season for the club with only seven victories from 28 games. C.C. Braund signed for Leigh Northern Union club, probably the first Moseley player to ‘go North.’


Membership of the club had improved sufficiently for a few ‘A’ team games to be played.


Moseley were runners-up in both the senior and junior Midland Counties Challenge Cup competitions. The club war memorial at The Reddings was dedicated.


Moseley celebrated the club’s Golden Jubilee. Coventry were defeated in a ‘jubilee’ match on the day of the Golden Jubilee Dinner at the Queen’s Hotel, Birmingham. The club was almost back to its pre-war strength with four XVs being fielded every week.


Moseley captain Austin Woodward led North Midlands against the All Blacks at Villa Park. Moseley won the Midland Counties Challenge Cup for the ninth and final time defeating Birmingham in a replay after the final had been drawn (the competition was discontinued after 1925-26).


Moseley renewed fixtures with Cardiff after a gap of 13 years.


Scotland international Dan Drysdale played a number of games for Moseley. The club was refused permission to build a new large stand following objections from local residents, however, the magistrates allowed the building of a smaller one.


A poor season for Moseley in which the club won only eight of the 34 matches played. The first win of the season was not until 5th November.


Another disappointing season in which Moseley won13 and drew three of the 34 matches played.


England international Roy Foulds spent the season playing for Moseley. A the end of the 1930 season Moseley Cricket Club left The Reddings having played at the ground for over 40 years.


Public school games were started during the Christmas holidays in an effort to unearth new talent for the club. A disappointing year for the first XV which won 10 and drew four of its 32 matches.


A slightly better season Moseley winning 14 and drawing two of the 31 fixtures played. Wing T.L. Winwood represented the Midlands against the Springboks.


Moseley won the North Midlands Sevens for the first time, beating Walsall 11-5 in the final.


New captain Ernest Wrigth led Moseley to 19 wins and two draws in 34 matches.


Ernest Wright’s second season as captain produced results very similar to the first, 18 wins and two draws from 36 matches. Following the international season England international Peter Cranmer, who lived in Birmingham, played a number of games for Moseley.


The Probables v. Possibles England International Trial was held at The Reddings. At the end of the season Peter Cranmer again played a number of games for Moseley. In his third season as captain Ernest Wright led Moseley to 16 wins and four draws from 32 matches.


Peter Cranmer again played for Moseley towards the end of the season. In his final season as captain Ernest Wright led Moseley to 20 wins and two draws from 33 fixtures. In June 1937 Wales schoolboy international centre Verdun Rhydderch joined Oldham Rugby League club.


Having joined Moseley permanently Peter Cranmer played in three England international matches, leading the side in two. He had previously won 13 caps while playing for Oxford University and Richmond. New captain Ken Woodhouse led Moseley to 19 wins and three draws from 33 matches.


In Ken Woodhouse’s second and final season as captain Moseley won 18 matches and drew four of its 30 fixtures.


After some early season games the club closed down for the duration of the Second World War and The Reddings was taken over by the War Agriculture Committee.


Because of a strong fixture list and poor playing resources Moseley won only seven and drew four of its 26 fixtures.


David Layton scored a record number of points for the club.


The club’s second team, Moseley United, went undefeated in 31 matches, winning 30 and drawing one while scoring 594 points to 108.


A new one thousand-seat stand was opened at The Reddings with a game against an International XV.


Brian Wightman won one England cap, he later won another four while playing for Coventry.


Having previously played for England 12 times while a member of the Oxford University and Coventry clubs Peter Robbins appeared in four international matches.


Peter Robbins won two further England caps. He played in his final international in the following season having returned to Coventry. Having previously not been allowed into the clubhouse women were given their own room and were allowed into the bar during the late evening.


A new clubhouse was opened at The Reddings and women were admitted to the whole building.


Floodlights were installed at The Reddings and the occasion was marked by a special match against Cardiff. The floodlight installation did much to extend the fixture list which by the 1970s included the top Welsh clubs. Colin McFadyean was capped three times by England.


Colin McFadyean toured New Zealand with the British Isles side and played in all four Test matches.


Three Moseley players appeared for England-Colin McFadyean (five appearances), Mike Coulman (five appearances) and John Finlan (four appearances).


Colin McFadyean played three times for England, captaining the side in two games. He became the only England captain never to win or lose a game because both matches were drawn! Mike Coulman won a further four caps and John Finlan a further three.


Prop Mike Coulman toured South Africa with the British Isles and played in one of the international matches. Following the tour he announced he was joining Salford Rugby League club where he went on to win two championships and to represent Great Britain.


John Finlan and Nigel Horton won four England caps each and Keith Fielding made three England appearances.


Three Moseley players appeared for England-Keith Fielding (three caps), Martin Hale (three caps) and John Finlan (one cap) and five played for the Midland Counties (West) against the Springboks.


Nigel Horton won three England caps.


Moseley reached the final of the inaugural R.F.U. Knock-Out Cup, losing 6-17 to Gloucester, and scored 1,128 points in 47 games. Sam Doble scored a total of 581 points, then a world record. Moseley captain Jan Webster won two England caps and Keith Fielding won four. Jan Webster and John Finlan toured the Far East with England.

Sam Doble on the Twickenham ‘Walk of Legends.’


Jan Webster and Sam Doble toured South Africa with England. Both men played in the only international match of the tour when England defeated South Africa away from home for the first time.


Moseley won the Sunday Telegraph English Welsh Merit Table scoring 1,013 points in 45 matches. The Midland Counties West, who included nine Moseley players, defeated the All Blacks 16-8 at The Reddings. The Moseley 1st XV included seven England internationals and the Coventry v. Moseley match on Boxing Day featured 16 internationals while 18 internationals took to the field in the Moseley v. Coventry cup tie in February. During the season four Moseley players appeared for England-Jan Webster (2 caps), Sam Doble (2 caps), Martin Cooper (2 caps) and John Finlan (1 cap). Malcolm Swain played for Wales B against France B. Keith Fielding ended the season as the top try scorer in England with 39.


Jan Webster and Martin Cooper toured New Zealand with England. Jan Webster was selected for the one international match and he was joined during the game by Martin Cooper who replaced the injured Geoff Evans. This was the first time that New Zealand lost to England at home.


The club’s centenary year was celebrated with a dinner at the Grand Hotel, Birmingham. In special centenary fixtures Moseley defeated both the Fijians and the Barbarians. Jan Webster made two further England appearances and Nigel Horton one.


Jan Webster made the last three of his 11 England international appearances, Martin Cooper won a further two caps and Nigel Horton one. Horton scored his only points for England with a try against Wales.


Ten Moseley players, nine in the starting XV and one replacement, appeared for the Midland Counties West against the touring Australians. Martin Cooper played twice for England. Malcolm Swain and Steve King played in the final Welsh international trial game.


Moseley won the Daily Mail Anglo-Welsh Merit Table, the Sunday Telegraph English Merit Table and the R.F.U. Midland Merit Table and were runners-up in the Sunday Telegraph English/Welsh Merit Table. The club also won the North Midlands Sevens and came second in the Midlands Sevens. Nigel Horton won four England caps making a total of 13, he later won a further seven caps while playing for Stade Toulousain in France. Martin Cooper also won his final four England caps bringing his total to 11 appearances, he scored a try against Ireland, his only international points. Barrie Corless also won four England caps. Gary Cox played for England Under 23.


Nigel Horton was a member of the British Isles side that toured New Zealand, however, his tour was cut short by injury.


The untimely death of Sam Doble, at the age of 33, was marked by a match against the full British Lions side appearing as The Rugby Writers International XV, arguably the finest team ever to play in the British Isles. Barrie Corless made his final four England appearances bringing his total of caps to ten. Chris Gifford and Les Cusworth played for England B while Steve Brain appeared for the England Under 23 side and Malcolm Swain captained Wales B. Eleven Moseley players were in the North Midlands team which won the County Championship by defeating Gloucestershire at The Reddings.


Moseley reached the final of the R.F.U. Knock-Out Competition, the John Player Cup, losing to Leicester 12-15. Moseley provided ten of the North Midlands starting XV plus one replacement that played the touring Argentinians at The Reddings. Chris Gifford played for an England XV in the ‘international’ against the tourists.


Chris Gifford toured Japan, Fiji and Tonga with England.


The Moseley mini and junior section was founded.


Nick Jeavons made three England appearances. Moseley United won the Worcester Floodlit Trophy.


Nick Jeavons toured Argentina with England and played in both of the international matches.


Moseley again reached the final of the John Player Cup, drawing 12-12 with Gloucester after extra time and thus sharing the trophy. This was the first draw in R.F.U Knock-Out Cup final history. In the semi-final Moseley ended Leicester’s run of 18 cup games undefeated spread over four years. Moseley United again won the Worcester Floodlit Trophy. Nick Jeavons won a further five England caps scoring a try in the game against Australia.


Nick Jeavons won the final four of his 14 England caps.


Nick Jeavons joined the British Isles tour of New Zealand as a replacement and played in six provincal matches.


Moseley celebrated the centenary of The Reddings with a game against John Finlan’s Midland XV. John Goodwin and Nick Jeavons played in the Midlands side that defeated the All Blacks. Graham Smith and John Goodwin toured Spain with England Under 23.


John Goodwin played in the Midlands side that took on the touring Australians. Peter Shillingford, Chris Barbor and Mark Linnett played for England Under 23 in a non-international match.


Ian Metcalfe and John Goodwin toured New Zealand with England.


John Goodwin and Mark Linnett played for England Under 23. Tim Exeter was chosen for Scotland Under 21 and Richard Denhardt for England Colts. The members’ sub committee, later re-named the Moseley Supporters’ Association, was established.


The Moseley Supporters Player of the Season award was established at the end of the season and was presented to Sam Masters. Moseley United won the Midlands Second XV Merit Table and triumphed in the Worcester Floodlit Trophy for the third time.


League rugby commenced in England, Moseley finished seventh in the top flight, Courage National Division 1. Moseley defeated Bath 4-3 in the quarter-finals of the John Player Special Cup, ending Bath’s record sequence of 22 cup matches unbeaten, Moseley lost to Bristol in the semi-finals. The United won the Midland 2nd XV league. Mark Linnett and Simon Robson played for England B and Tim Exeter appeared for both a Scotland XV and Scotland B.


Moseley finished 10th in Courage League Division 1. The club was defeated 3-6 by North One side Aspatria in the third round of the John Player Special Cup. Mark Linnett was selected for England B.


Moseley finished 11th in Courage League Division 1. Mark Linnett scored a try against Fiji in his only appearance for England.


Moseley finished 12th in Courage League Division 1 and were relegated from the top flight.


Alex Keay was appointed Director of Playing Administration. Moseley finished seventh in Courage League Division 2.


Moseley gained a bizarre place in the cup “giant killers” list by defeating Division One Rugby 11-5 at Webb Ellis Road. The club finished sixth in Courage League Division 2. Mike Teague made five England appearances having previously won 22 caps when a Gloucester player. Mark Linnett and Peter Shillingford played for the Midlands against the South Africans and Mark Chudleigh played for England Colts. The colts won the North Midlands Cup.


Mike Teague made his second British Isles tour, his first as a Moseley player, when he joined the side to New Zealand. He went on as a replacement for Peter Winterbottom in one of the Test matches.


Moseley finished fifth in Courage League Division 2.


Alex Keay was succeeded, as Director of Rugby, in April 1995, by former England and Moseley player Barrie Corless and Moseley finished sixth in Courage League Division 2. Half of the main stand at The Reddings was destroyed by fire. The club became an industrial & provident society under the 1965 Act.


In August, the door to full-scale professionalism in the Rugby Union game was opened as a result of a meeting of the International Rugby Board. The Moseley general committee began to explore possible sources of finance so that the club could compete in terms of playing strength and facilities. Moseley finished sixth in Courage League Division 2.


After special general meetings in July and August, Moseley became a private limited company under the 1985 and 1989 Companies Acts.


A group of backers was assembled and, in September, financing and administration were put in place. The nine backers were appointed investor directors and the board included several Moseley members. Mark Anscombe, a New Zealander, was appointed Director of Rugby and six internationals were signed. Former Wales backs coach Allan Lewis took over as Director of Rugby in February. Moseley finished eighth in Courage League Division 2. Ian Smith, having previously won 21 Scotland caps while playing for Gloucester, made two international appearances. Henry Hurley was capped by Ireland and Dan Harris toured Australia with England Under 21.


On 30th January the club went into administration after overstretching its financial resources, however, the club’s playing commitments were still fulfilled except in the North Midlands Cup because of the disbandment of the club’s 2nd XV, the United. Moseley finished sixth in Allied Dunbar Premiership 2. Ian Smith won two further Scotland caps and Steve Moore two further Wales caps. Darragh O’Mahoney made one appearance for Ireland while James Cockle was an ever-present for England Under 21. Al Charron made eight appearances for Canada between May and November 1997. The senior colts (under 19) went undefeated and won the inaugural National Colts Cup, beating Leeds 8 – 3 in the final. The team was also named Rugby World Youth Team of the Year. The junior colts (under 17) lost just one game. Stean Williams and Phil Greenaway both played for England Colts. Andrew Hall was selected by Scotland Under 19 and Jonathan Shaw was capped by England Schools 18 Group.


On 12th June the club was given another chance when a group of Moseley members assembled by Simon Cooper, a former club player and official, formed Moseley Ventures Ltd. and bought the club out of administration. On 27th June, a large number of members pledged their support for the new group.


The club celebrated its 125th anniversary season. Special events included a colts tournament, a golf day, an anniversary dinner at Warwickshire County Cricket Club, a match against the Penguins at The Reddings and an anniversary ball also at The Reddings. Former Moseley player, coach and chairman John White took over as Director of Rugby and the club finished 10th in Allied Dunbar Premiership 2. Tony Healy won his final Canadian cap having previously made 14 appearances for his country before joining Moseley. Peter Buxton played for England Under 21 and Andrew Hall was capped by Scotland Under 21. The club’s under 21 side won the Worcester Floodlit Cup. The colts and the under 16s won their respective North Midlands Cups. Alex Hadley played for England Colts, Adam Coniff for England Under 18 Clubs and Alistair Hall and Stephen Nutt both played for Scotland Under 18 Schools.


Moseley continued successfully its fight for survival both on and off the field after coming out of administration. The club finished seventh in Allied Dunbar Premiership 2. Having sold The Reddings to Bryant Homes, in the last 1st XV match at the ground Moseley defeated Worcester 34-17. Andrew Hall represented Scotland Under 21 throughout the season.


Moseley defeated Exeter 27-18 in the first match at its new home at Bournbrook on the University of Birmingham campus and finished the season in 10th place in National Division One.


Planning problems at the university made it more difficult than expected to secure financial security and the survival of the club became more difficult than anticipated. An offer by Firoz Kassam, chairman of Oxford United Football Club to buy out the club and take it to Oxford became the catalyst for a consortium of Moseley stalwarts, led by former captain Dave Warren, to come forward to raise finance to match his offer.


At a predictably traumatic meeting at the Grand Hotel on 26th July, the consortium gained the support of the creditors by a narrow 1.7% majority. The new consortium’s business plan was approved by the R.F.U. and with additional backing by the politicians of the city of Birmingham and the North Midlands R.F.U., the club survived in Birmingham. So Moseley Rugby Club was reborn and appointed Dave Warren as chief executive and former players John Beale and Derek Nutt as director of playing and chief coach respectively.


The young squad assembled in a few August weeks in 2002 was inevitably relegated from National Division One after 12 seasons in the second tier. During the season the club suffered its heaviest ever defeat in the away game at Rotherham. Negotiations for planning permission for a new ground at Billesley Common in the same postal district as The Reddings began and was obtained before the start of the following season.


The mini and junior section celebrated its Silver Jubilee. Former England international Steve Ojomoh joined the club as player/coach but unfortunately sustained a long term injury at Doncaster in December. The club finished 10th in National Division Two.


Ian Smith took over as coach. In a record-breaking league season the 1st XV finished third in National Division Two. Moseley won its last league match at Bournbrook 29-25 against Waterloo. Moseley Colts reached the final of the National Colts Cup before losing to Harlequins at Bedford. The Moseley Mini Festival was held at Billesley Common on 1st May 2005 and the end of season awards presentation dinner took place in the new clubhouse at Billesley on 6th May.


The first league match at Billesley Common took place against Manchester on 3rd September and another record breaking season began. By April Moseley had confirmed promotion to National Division One as champions.


The first season back in National Division One started with a very tough programme against three of the previous season’s top six clubs. The derby tradition against Coventry was renewed with the Moseley Trophy being presented to the winners. After a gruelling season with up to 14 first choice players on the injury list at times, a final day victory at Waterloo secured National Division One status for another season.


The season started with the announcement of a ground-breaking arrangement with Premiership club Gloucester with young England Academy players being dual registered to play for both clubs. The relegation of Northampton at the end of 2006-07 brought about a revival of the traditional fixture between the two clubs and the Teddy Brookes Trophy was dusted down. Moseley players were selected to appear on the covers of the Rugby World Cup programmes. At Christmas, the death of Peter Woodroofe, author of much of this page, saddened the whole club. By May an impressive away record helped secure 10th place in National Division One. A Moseley Invitational XV v. Phil Bennett International XV game commemorated the Sam Doble Memorial Match. Moseley Women’s RFC were promoted with a 100% record.


Moseley won the E.D.F. Energy National Trophy at Twickenham defeating Premiership-bound Leeds 23-18. Although this was Moseley’s fourth visit to Twickenham for a national cup final it was the club’s first outright victory having shared the cup with Gloucester in 1982. Andy Binns scored a vital try in his last season after fifteen years with the club.

In the league the reduction of the 16 team National Division 1 to a 12-team Championship from 2009-10 meant that achieving 11th place or better became the focus. An excellent cup run and weather problems played havoc with the fixture list necessitating an extension to the season. Despite the disruption Moseley finished a creditable 8th.

Moseley Women followed up their unbeaten season in 2007-08 with a second successive promotion. The senior colts won the North Midlands Cup and lost in the quarter-finals of the National Colts Cup to the eventual winners. Meanwhile the junior colts went all the way to the National Plate Final.


This was the first year of the new 12-team R.F.U. Championship and the British & Irish Cup. Moseley missed out on the promotion play-offs by two points, and after a troubled run in the relegation play-off group finished comfortably second of four.


Moseley finished 11th in the 12-team Championship and therefore, for the second consecutive season, had to contest the relegation play-offs. The club achieved second place in the four-team relegation group and thus retained their Championship status for another season. The side also reached the quarter finals of the British & Irish Cup. Ian Smith stepped down as coach in July 2011 and was succeeded by his assistant, former Ireland international, Kevin Maggs.


In Kevin Maggs’s first season as head coach Moseley finished 10th in the Championship having won six games and drawn one. One of the victories was over eventual champions London Welsh at Old Deer Park. In the final season of relegation play-offs the club headed the relegation group losing only two matches, both away, to London Scottish and to Plymouth Albion.


The club was rocked by the death of one of its leading lights, shareholder and former director, Alan Adam at the age of 63. Alan, a former United hooker, was instrumental in helping to prevent the move to Oxford in 2002 and then in establishing the club’s new home at Billesley Common. On the field Moseley finished 10th in the Championship for the second successive season again having won six games and drawn one, however, unlike the 2011-12 season there were no relegation play-offs. One notable achievement was a rare ‘double’ over Bristol.


Moseley struggled in the early weeks of the season with an amazing comeback to draw 34-34 at Plymouth Albion yielding the only points. There was then an improvement in form starting with a win at Ealing. Moseley then defeated Nottingham for the first time since 2007 and followed that success with a win at Bedford, only their second win over the club in the Championship. Further success followed with a hard-fought win over Jersey and a second win over Ealing. A Friday night match saw Moseley end a run of three consecutive home draws against Cornish Pirates with a win. This was followed by a first ‘double’ over Bedford since 1995-96. Towards the end of the season Moseley inflicted Jersey’s heaviest home defeat of the season and a win over Plymouth Albion achieved a best ever seventh place Championship finish. Prop Craig Voisey and fullback Anthony Carter both completed 100 appearances for the club. Off the field the club announced the commencement of work on a new 712-seat stand and clubhouse complex.


The Championship season started with a tough series of fixtures which yielded a draw with Jersey and defeats at the hands of Yorkshire and Bristol, all at Billesley Common, together with away losses at Worcester and Cornish Pirates. Moseley then beat third placed London Scottish at a sodden Billesley Common thanks to their ability to play the conditions more effectively than their opponents. The team then travelled to Doncaster where they defeated a strong home side 28-13 thanks in no small part to Sam Olver who scored 23 points with some excellent kicking. On Boxing Day Moseley achieved an outstanding 26-22 bonus point win at play-off chasing Rotherham. This victory was followed by narrow defeats by Bedford (home) and by Plymouth Albion (away) before not unexpected losses to Worcester (home) and to Yorkshire (away). Hope for the future returned with a fine 22-18 home win over Cornish Pirates. Unfortunately there then followed six consecutive Championship defeats which left Moseley in 11th position in the table only seven points ahead of bottom placed Plymouth Albion, who, as luck would have it, were the final visitors of the season at Billesley Common. This fixture saw the opening of Moseley’s new stand and hospitality facilities and the occasion was marked by an emphatic 29-0 victory which secured the club’s Championship status for another season. On the representative front centres Greg King and Will Owen were both selected for the Championship representative XV which defeated the touring Canadians 28-23. Also during the season hooker Adam Caves became the club’s record appearance holder in competitive rugby with 298.


Moseley’s Championship campaign began with a difficult Friday night fixture at London Scottish where they triumphed by 23 points to 19 thanks in no small measure to six penalty goals kicked by fly half Glyn Hughes. Following this encouraging start there were five consecutive defeats before a second win was gained over promoted Ealing at Billesley Common. Moseley then travelled to Leeds where they were heavily defeated by Yorkshire, however, on their return to Birmingham another win was recorded, this time against Cornish Pirates, when the winning try was scored deep into injury time. The Boxing Day Championship game at Billesley Common against Bedford resulted in a home defeat, however, there was some encouragement for Moseley from the gaining of two bonus points. Following the pool stages of the British and Irish Cup Moseley clinched qualification for the competition’s quarter final stage where they were heavily defeated by Yorkshire. The trip to bottom-placed Ealing proved to be a huge disappointment because the home side triumphed by a large score which did nothing to encourage Moseley’s hopes of Championship survival. The Championship season ended with a further four defeats and although Moseley were defeated at Ashton Gate by eventual champions Bristol the hosts did not lead until the very last kick of the game. At the conclusion of the Championship campaign Moseley finished in last place and were relegated to National League One for the 2016/17 season. A new era in the club’s history began on 1st June 2016 when the name Birmingham Moseley was adopted.


Two former internationals centre Alex Grove (Scotland) and back row forward Jacques le Roux (Portugal) joined the squad, captained by Greg King. The campaign began with a victory in wet conditions at Fylde before the contest for the Moseley Trophy was renewed for the first time in seven seasons when, in a close encounter, Coventry were defeated 19-14. There was then a narrow away win at Hull Ionians, a comfortable home victory against Blaydon and a first defeat of the season at Ampthill and District. The club’s next opponents, at Billesley Common, were Cambridge who were defeated 72-14, the home side scoring 11 tries. The next fixture was at Rosslyn Park where Birmingham Moseley narrowly wion 31-24. Birmingham Moseley’s next opponents were Old Albanian and in a disjointed performance, during which wing Ed Sheldon scored a try hat-trick and in which Alex Groves was sent off in the 79th minute, the home side won 56-33. A long trip north followed to play Darlington Mowden Park, who were narrowly beaten 15-7. November began with a visit from Loughborough Students who were defeated 47-19. Two away games followed, a bonus point defeat at Plymouth Albion and a narrow two point victory at Macclesfield which was only secured when the referee awared a penalty try in the final minute. Blackheath were then beaten at Billesley Common after a second half comeback. Birmingham Moseley then visited runaway league leaders Hartpury College where they lost 5-64 before acheiving an error-strewn home win over Esher in torrential rain. The second half of the league season began with a visit to Coventry, who regained the Moseley Trophy. Hull Ionians were then beaten at Billesley Common 38-19, James Wiilliams kicking 18 of the points. After the potponement of the game at Blaydon Birmingham Moseley entertained Ampthill and District. The home side led by four points going into the final quarter but the visitors scored 21 points in the final 13 minutes to acheive a ‘double’ over their hosts. Birmingham Moseley then put together a three match winning run with victries over Cambridge (away), Old Albanian (away) and Rosslyn Park (home). On 24th February Billesley Common hosted a floodlit international between Englad Counties and Scotland Clubs, won by th home side 45-28. The England Counties starting line-up included two players, lock George Oram and flanker Jack Preece, from the host club and they were later joined by replacements fly-half James Williams, scrum half Dave Brazier and back row forward Chris Brightwell. Despite having five players involved in this fixture Birmingham Moeley were forced to make the long journey to Blaydon on the following day to play the postponed fixture and, perhaps not surprisingly, were defeated. There was then a successful visit to Loughborough Students where the visitors twice recovered from ten point deficits to record a bonus point win. Plymouth Albion then visited Billesley Common and did the ‘double’ over their hosts. THis game was folowed by a visit from Macclesfield and Birmingham Moseley again struggled to overcome the Cheshire side, conceding four tries and only winning by the margin of their visitor’s two missed conversion kicks. A visit to Blackheath followed ground a narrow victory was gained. The next visitors to Billesley Common were Hartpury College, who as expected won, but not by a runaway score. The final result being a defeat by 14-32, however, 20 of the visitors’ points were scored when Ed Sheldon was in the sin bin. The two remaining league fixtures saw Birmingham Moseley lose at Esher before rounding off the season in style with a resounding 57-0 triumph over Fylde at Billesley Common. The club finished fifth in National League One behind promoted Hartpury College and Plymouth Albion, Ampthill and District and Coventry.


After an encouraging pre-season victory over Worcester, Birmingham Moseley drew their first league game, at home to Ampthill & District. The team then travelled to local rivals Coventry where they were soundly beaten conceding eight tries. A first league win was achieved in the home Friday night fixture with Hull Ionians, which was followed by a home defeat at the hands of Darlington Mowden Park. This setback was followed by a first away league win at Old Albanian and a heavy home defeat by Blackheath. This up and down form continued with an away win at Esher and a home loss to Bishop’s Stortford. There were then four consecutive wins against Fylde (away), Loughborough Students (home), Cambridge (away) and Caldy (home). Two defeats in London followed, at Old Elthamians and Rosslyn Park, before the return fixture with Coventry which was also lost. The New Year began with an away victory at Hull Ionians and a home win over Old Albanian. Blackheath then completed the double with a home win which was followed by a draw with Esher at Billesley Common. Revenge was then gained with an away win at Bishop’s Stortford and the double over Fylde was achieved at Billesley Common. Plymouth Albion then made the long trip north for the game which had been postponed in December and returned south with a four point victory. The away game at Loughborough Students was played during a period of severe weather which led to the cancellation of the supporters’ coach nonetheless Birmingham Moseley returned with a one point victory, a result which was replicated on the following two Saturdays at home to Cambridge and away at Caldy. A midweek friendly against the Army was arranged for the following Wednesday and resulted in a heavy defeat. A disappointing end to the season saw defeats at the hands of Old Elthamians (home), Plymouth Albion (away) and Ampthill & District (away) and a solitary win at home to Rosslyn Park.